Monday, January 10, 2011

End of the First/Start of the Second

I've heard that the first semester of Upper Division is the hardest, and I really hope that's true. Despite working harder than I ever have in my life (I've always worked hard in school, but, until this semester, I knew I could work hard, but not too hard, and still get the grades I wanted), I now feel more strongly than ever that this was the right choice. The burnout for the semester was unbelievable, and by exam week, admittedly, I was kind of done; somehow I managed to keep my GPA above my goal of a 3.5, and I feel I learned more than I did in high school or the first 2 years of college.
The second semester is made up of two clinicals and their lectures, along with a couple of other classes. Half of us take psychiatric/mental health nursing this semester, while the other half takes pediatrics/obstetrics; we'll switch next semester and take the other so that everyone gets the same clinicals. In addition to psych or peds/OB, we all take medical/surgical nursing. Those of us in psych have room for one nursing elective (either genetics or emergency preparedness) and, because of my interest in disaster response kinds of things, I enthusiastically chose emergency prep. We all also have a skills lab for med/surg in addition to the clinical and lecture times, and an online research class (which I'm already forgetting assignments for because it gets put on the back burner. Ah crap). I think it will be another challenging, busy semester, but I'm even more excited about what we're going to learn than I was last semester. Here's to learning a lot, having fun, a still graduating with honors!

No comments:

Post a Comment